Videos to learn English
Watching and listening at the same time is among the most authentic language activities, second possibly only to real-life situations. In this section links and exercises are suggested to help you learn English through movies and videos with fun and effectiveness.
[Guardare e ascoltare al tempo stesso crea un contesto linguistico molto coinvolgente e produttivo, secondo solo alla vita reale. In questa sezione vengono proposti link e attività per aiutarvi ad imparare con divertimento ed efficacia.]
After watching a video a couple of times with subtitles or transcripts, challenge yourself with a non-aided version. Also, see it again after some time, to re-inforce the language, phrases, structures that you encountered the first time. Repetition and reinforcement are key stages in the language learning process, and in time will lead to better performances: you'll become your best English-language personal trainer.
Follow Eamus on Facebook:
James Corden takes Paul McCartney on a tour of Liverpool sites connected to the Beatles.
Introduced by John Bailey and hosted by Tiffany Haddish and Andy Serkis, video and transcript.
Receiving the Cecil B. de Mille Award at the 2018 Golden Oprah gave a powerful speech that will surely remain in history.
The cast of the celebrated sitcom meets again for a Tribute to Director James Burrows.
The Star Wars Cast, both past and present, share their condolences for their beloved Princess Leia.
Caroline Bouvier Kennedy and her children reflect on Kennedy's legacy 100 years after his birth.
The press conference for the Nominations of the 2017 BAFTA Awards, introduced by Jane Lush.
An interview about the Republican candidate's public disparagement of climate change and the Doomsday's midnight coming near
At the 2016 DNC, the first black First Lady gave a powerful, emotional speech using the past to address the future.
Rowan Atkinson is Toby the devil, welcoming Christians, atheists, adulterers, lawyers and more to Hell...
Charlie Chaplin's celebrated final speech in the role of a barber mistaken for dictator Adenoid Hynkel...
A 20-year-old Italian-American from Long Island offers a stunning performance of "My Way" at America's Got Talent 2016...
Vogue interviews British entertainer in this installment of the 73 Questions series...
Donovan Livingston's address at Harvard graduation ceremony on May 25, 2016 sweeps through the Internet with incredible force...
A viral video which got over 150 million views in a week, of Candace Payne's laughing out very loud...
In 2008 the author of the Harry Potter universe at the Commencement Address spoke inspiringly about the importance of failure...
The inauguration ceremony in Orlando, FL, was accompanied by inspiring speeches by Prince Harry and Michelle Obama...
The English language developed borrowing from many sources, which produced a huge and varied vocabulary...
At the end of his farewell speech to journalists at the White House the President says "Obama out" dropping the microphone...
A rap song that targets all the stereotypes placed on individuals...
A strange poem to show the follies of English spelling and pronunciation...
A video to explain what has been happening in Europe after the Syrian crisis...
Sometimes the pronunciation of a word can cause an awkward feeling or put you in a funny situation...
Why do we choose partners that tend to make us unhappy, or that we can make unhappy (Freud again?)
While we learn to speak earlier than to write, ESL students often do the opposite and are obsessed with grammar...
Prince EA's rap song in the form of a letter to future generations...
Can it be possible that the greatest writer in the English language was fictitious as his works?
An interview on UpFront to Christiana Figueres about the pros and cons of the UN deal on climate of Dec 2015.
Why did the great Bard, of all poets, make the iambic pentameter a stronghold of his verse, both in the sonnets and plays?
In September 2015 Ellen DeGeneres had as a guest Nobel Prize winner Malala Yousafzai for premiere week to share her inspiring story...
Performed by Common and Legend, "Glory" won the 87th Academy Awards for Best Original Song, 50 years after the historical march.
A video lesson about many useful expressions that can be heard while travelling by plane.
The story behind the 1939 poster accidentally rediscovered in the year 2000 to become a meme.
President Obama's 2016 Speech to the Cuban People in Havana ends the Cold War in the Americas.
On 14 November 2015, the singer gives a moving speech in honour of the victims of the terrorist attacks in Paris.
Ellen DeGeneres likes to surprise her audience with stunning guests... In this short video from her show, she talks to Scott Eastwood
Guy takes a two week vacation... and ends up with 15,000 children: the wonderful story of Sir Nicholas Winton.
Wearing green on 17th March? A video about the myths surrounding the missionary Patricius, the patron saint of Ireland.
Who rescued whom? The heartwarming story of Eric and Peety and their life-changing meeting.
- What videos to use? Anything, of course, will help, but find below some advice that might be useful.
- Movies in the original English version, with subtitles in English or also in Italian as a first step. There are surely movies you like and have seen many times, you could see them again on DVD choosing English language and English subtitles - or also Italian subtitles if you find the adtivity too difficult. When buying or ordering online, check the presence of the Italian and English versions and subtitles.
- Use YouTube or other video websites to find English contents with English subtitles - on this page you'll find some links to start with.
To download a YouTube video and watch it also offline, install a plug-in compatible with your browser, then under every YouTube video you will see the option "download as".
Quali video usare? Ovviamente tutto aiuta, ma di seguito troverete alcuni consigli che potranno tornare utili.
- Vedere film nella versione originale inglese, con sottotitoli in inglese o anche in italiano, come primo passo. Ci sono sicuramente film che amate e avete visto anche varie volte, potreste rivederli su DVD scegliendo la lingua inglese e sottotitoli in inglese - o se trovate l'ascolto troppo difficile, sottotitoli in italiano. Al momento dell'acquisto o ordine on-line, verificate la presenza delle versioni italiana e inglese e dei sottotitoli.
- Utilizzare YouTube o altri siti web di video per trovare contenuti in inglese con sottotitoli in inglese - su questa pagina troverete alcuni link per iniziare. Se il video si ferma spesso su YouTube, potete metterlo in pausa e lasciarlo scaricare.
Se vi piace un video e volete scaricarlo sul PC e vederlo con calma anche offline, cercate un componente aggiuntivo adatto al vostro browser - poi su qualsiasi pagina di YouTube comparirà sotto il video l'opzione "download as".
All archived videos
[with parallel Italian translation]
- Leonardo DiCaprio's acceptance speech - Golden Globe Awards 2016
- President Obama's 2012 re-election speech (only transcript and video)
- It's not about the shoes, Michael Jordan's commercial
- Barack Obama's 2009 speech to students
- Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish Steve Jobs' address to Stanford students in June 2005
- Susan Boyle at Britain's Got Talent 2009 (no subtitles)
- Shopping habits in Italy - not so difficult documentary on Italian shops and successful companies
- What do you know about Italy interviews in Chicago
- The Comic Who Shook Italy the story of Beppe Grillo's rise as a communicator
- SpeakUp online, a great resource for Italian learners
- Sezione del British Council con risorse per l'apprendimento della lingua
- BBC Learning English - sezioni su grammatica, vocabolario, pronuncia, test
- Voice of America Articoli di Attualità con audio.(i testi sono letti 1/3 più lentamente del normale)
- (lezioni sottotitolate)
- Learning English with Misterduncan
- English with Jennifer
- Canale YouTube della BBC: sezioni su moltissimi argomenti
- social networking sites, the terminal
- from "Real English": Second Language, Usually on Sat Night vs. Last Sat. Night, Colonel Roberts, Americans are NOT stupid, British are also NOT stupid
- HOME (selezionare: trascrizione interattiva - dura oltre 1 ora)
- from "Pretty Woman" - Vivian goes shopping
- 100% Pure New Zealand
- Development Report: A Service Group Built on 'Friendship'
- American-English - Halloween